License Department: Marriage Licenses
OFFICE HOURS: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Monday through Friday (Closed weekends and State Holidays)
- Marriage License/Copies: 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
- Civil Ceremonies: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM & 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Business Licenses: 8:30 AM - 3:30 pm
- Passport Applications Accepted: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 am to 2:00 pm
- Notaries: 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
TO CONTACT US CALL: 410-222-1434
The application process takes approximately 15 minutes. There is a 48-hour waiting period before the license is valid. The marriage license is valid for six months from the date of issuance and is only valid in Anne Arundel County. The procedures for obtaining a marriage license in Anne Arundel County are as follows:
The Marriage License fee is $55.00 in Anne Arundel County. We accept cash, Visa, MasterCard or Discover as payment. CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED. One applicant must apply in person to give the information for both spouses.
The following information is required for each applicant:
- Birth Date
- State or Country of Birth
- Current Address
- Social Security Number for each person. The Social Security Number is required by Federal and State law and will not be printed on the marriage license.
- If either party has been married previously, please provide the exact month, day, year, county and state that all divorces and/or deaths occurred. Documentation is not required in Anne Arundel County.
- Both parties must be over 18 years of age. Proof of age is not required if both parties are 21 and older. Applicants 20 and younger are required to provide proof of age when applying for the license.
- Applicants 17 and younger are required to call the License Department prior to applying.
- A blood test is not required in the state of Maryland.
Under oath the applicant will be asked if the information provided is accurate. The applicant must sign the application under oath and indicate the truthfulness of the information under penalty of perjury.
Non Resident Affidavit: If you are unable to apply for an Anne Arundel County marriage license in person at least 48 hours prior to the wedding ceremony, you may complete a Non Resident Affidavit to be signed by your local Clerk of the Circuit Court or comparable official in your state. The fees remain the same and all Maryland laws must be complied with.
Before mailing the affidavit, please ensure:
- It is accurate, legible and complete
- Changes after the affidavit has been processed will incur additional fees.
- Click here for printable instructions for Non Resident Affidavit.
The Marriage License Fee of $55.00 payment must be in the form of a MONEY ORDER or CERTIFIED CHECK.
**PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED**
After completing the Non Resident Affidavit, mail it to:
Clerk of the Circuit Court
ATTN: Marriage License
8 Church Circle
Annapolis, MD 21401
Civil Marriage Ceremonies
- Civil Ceremonies are performed at the Circuit Court Chapel Monday through Friday. During holiday periods, you may experience longer waits for civil wedding ceremonies.
- The hours for civil ceremonies are 9:00 AM. – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM.
- The fee for a civil marriage ceremony is $25.00 payable in cash or Visa, MasterCard or Discover. Checks are not accepted as payment.
- Civil Ceremonies are performed on a walk-in basis. Appointments are not required or accepted. Friends and family may attend to witness the ceremony.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or civil ceremonies, please call 410-222-1434.
Marriage License: Certified Copies
The Circuit Court has marriage records for Anne Arundel County from 1905 to the present. Certificates of marriage can be released to the following individuals:
- Married parties
- A representative of the married parties (providing the representative shows a notarized letter stating he or she has permission to get a copy of the marriage certificate)
- An attorney representing the married parties
- A court of law
Certified copies are $5.50 per copy. You may apply in person or by mail.
You must present a completed application and a valid, unexpired, government-issued photo ID displaying a date issued and an expiration date. Applicants unable to supply a valid photo ID must present two (2) different pieces of alternative documentation. Acceptable documents include:
- Social security card
- Pay stub
- Current car registration
- Bank statement
- Letter from a government agency
- Lease/rental agreement
- Utility bill with current address
- A copy of your income tax return or W-2 form.
At least one of these documents must contain your current mailing address. Applicants unable to provide valid photo ID will not be able to receive their certificate(s) the same day. Their certificate(s) will be mailed to the address displayed on the documents provided. When applying by mail, send the required information, fee, and a photocopy of required identification to the above address. Do not send cash.
For expedited return service, please submit a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Click here to print and complete the application form and mail with a check or money order ($5.50 per copy) to:
Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County
Attention: License Department
8 Church Circle
Annapolis, Maryland 21401